Today I thought I’d share a recipe for one of my favorite writing snacks. This is one of my standby recipes for dessert pot-lucks, writing get-togethers, and NaNoWriMo events that involve food. It’s a super simple recipe, and combines two of my favorite flavors, chocolate and peanut butter.
This is a recipe that comes to me from my paternal grandmother. It was one of many treats she would make at holidays and for family gatherings. I always loved them because they’re rice crispy treats without the marshmallows and there’s chocolate involved. Basically, it’s a peanut butter rice crispy treat with a chocolate-butterscotch topping.
My copy of the recipe is on one of the pretty recipe cards my sister gave me at my bridal shower. She collected recipes from friends and family and wrote them out on the pretty cards and gave them to me in the matching recipe box. I get a little sentimental any time I open that recipe box because it was so sweet of my sister to do that. She even hand wrote all the recipes people sent in.
This recipe does make a few dishes during creation, but it’s not too bad for what it is, and I’ve found ways to get most of the dishes in the dishwasher when I make it. It usually only takes me 15-20 minutes to throw together and the recipe is easy enough that I’ve memorized it (six cups of crispies and one cup of everything else). It’s also pretty easy to keep the ingredients on hand. The rice crispies are the only ones that are perishable at all.
What are some of your favorite writing snacks? In addition to scotcheroos I like pretzels, mini candy bars, and oatmeal raisin cookies for writing fuel.
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup (I prefer Karo brand)
1 cup smooth peanut butter
6 cups rice crispies
1 cup chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet but milk or dark work too)
1 cup butterscotch chips
- Cook sugar and syrup in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat stirring frequently until boiling. Remove from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter.
- Add rice crispies. Stir until blended.
- Press coated rice crispies LIGHTLY into buttered 9×13 pan (if you press too hard at this step they become VERY hard to cut later.)
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together, stir until blended. (I’ve done this one the stove and in the microwave, just be careful not to burn it.) Spread evenly over crispy mix.
- Cool until firm. DO NOT refrigerate (or only a super hero will be able to cut them). Cut into bars.